An extra-special Xmas for animals without a family of their own.
Make Christmas extra special for animals who don’t have a family of their own, and please take part in our Christmas Shoebox Appeal.
It’s easy, fun and our animals love getting their shoeboxes (and tearing them open).
There are three ways to help make this Xmas extra special.
Option 1 – Make Your Own Shoebox
The best way to join the Christmas Shoebox Appeal is to:
– Find an old shoebox
– Fill it with some food, treats and toys (ideas below)
– Take it to one of our drop-off centres (full list below)
Or, if it’s more convenient, you can post them directly to:
Holly Hedge Animal Sanctuary, Wild Country Lane, Barrow Gurney, Bristol, BS48 3SE
Option 2 – Donate Via Text* (See T&Cs)
Alternatively, you can send a text to donate any amount, and we’ll prepare a shoebox for you from the items below.
Text CATBOXFIVE to 70085 to donate £5.
Text CATBOXTEN to 70085 to donate £10.
Text DOGBOXFIVE to 70085 to donate £5.
Text DOGBOXTEN to 70085 to donate £10.
If you wish to donate another amount, please text SHOEBOX followed by your donation amount to 70450 to give that amount.
Option 3 – QR Code
Or if you would prefer to donate online, please scan our QR code at the bottom of the page..
And of course, you can always make a donation on our Facebook page.
What’s in a Shoebox?
You can fill your box with whatever you like, so long as it suitable for cats and dogs – they LOVE to tear open the boxes.
Looking for ideas of what to include?
Our dogs Love…
Chew toys of all sizes and durability, Primula cream cheese spread in tubes, small training treats, Nylabones, natural treats such as pigs’ ears, antler bars, dried fish chews, Snufflemats, Lick-e-Mats, enrichment feeder, wet dog food (we would prefer loaf or jelly please – no gravy) and our preferred brands are Natures Diet, James Wellbeloved, Butchers, Winalot, and Forthglade, Biodegradable poo bags.
Our cats love…
Cat treats including Dreamies and Lick-e-Lix, cat toys, cat games, Kickaroos, Furminator combs and brushes, enrichment feeders, scratching mats or posts, wet cat/kitten food (we would prefer jelly please) and our preferred brands are Whiskas, Felix, Applaws, Natures Diet. Dry cat/kitten food (hypoallergenic or grain-free only please), that do not contain any colourings, such as James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin, Harringtons, Wainwrights, Lily’s Kitchen and Applaws.
Please though, NO rawhide products, NO dry dog food and NO toys with eyes etc. that might come out. We already have plenty of cuddly toys for dogs.
If you’re looking for inspiration, why not try our Amazon wish lists?
Christmas Shoebox Appeal – Drop Off Locations
Once you’ve got your shoebox together, you can drop it off at any of these locations:
- Holly Hedge Animal Sanctuary, Wild Country Lane, Barrow Gurney, Bristol, BS48 3SE
- Holly Hedge Charity Shop, 87-89 High Street, Nailsea, Bristol, BS48 IAW
- Vale Vets Animal Hospital, 1 Beach Road West, Portishead, BS20 7HR
- Pets Corner, Unit 2, 6 Hannah More Rd, Nailsea, BS48 4RZ
- Christmas Fayre in aid of Holly Hedge, Long Ashton Community Centre, Sunday 26 November 10am – 3pm
- Bristol University Psychological Science reception, 12a Priory Road, Bristol, BS8 1TU (Mondays and Thursdays in November and December)
- Vets4Pets, 141 Milton Rd, Weston Super Mare, BS22 8AA
- Golden Valley Vets, Nailsea Park, Nailsea, BS48 1BD
- Avon Lodge Vets, 283 Wells Road, Bristol, BS4 2PP
- Bristol Property Centre, 14 Chandos Road, Redland, Bristol, BS6 6PE
- Elizabeth Bray, Meare Court Ltd, Meare Court Farm, Wrantage, Taunton TA3 6DA
- Marshfield Post Office, SN14 8NN
- Bertie’s Pet Store, 54 High Street, Portishead BS20 6EL
- Reeds Rains Estate Agents, Triangle House, 5 The Triangle, Clevedon BS21 6NB
- The White Lion, Frenchay Common, Frenchay, Bristol BS16 1LZ
- Avon Lodge Vets, Wells Road Surgery, 283 Wells Road, Bristol, BS4 2PP
- Avon Lodge Vets, Bishopsworth Surgery, Bristol, BS13 8JW
- Chapel Farm Rehabilitation Centre, Chapel Farm, Whitley Batts, Pensford, Bristol, BS39 4NE
- Dirty Paws, 1 Harbury Road , Henleaze, BRISTOL, BS9 4 PN
- Co-op, Princess Victoria St, Clifton, Bristol BS8 4BX
- Walnut Grove Clinic, Slade Rd, Portishead, United Kingdom, BS20 6BB
- The Mutty Professor Shop, 122 West Street, Bristol, BS3 3LT
- Vets4Pets Yate, Riverside Retail Park, Link Road, Yate, BS37 4AY
- The Chocolate Quarter, Trajectus Way, Keynsham, BS31 2GJ
- Create Hairdressing, 59 Shirehampton Road, Stoke Bishop, BS11 0DZ
- Zetland Vet Group, 32-34 Zetland Road, Bristol, BS6 7ABZetland Vet Group, 10 Straits Parade, Fishponds, Bristol, BS16 2LA
- Zetland Vet Group, 10 Straits Parade, Fishponds, Bristol, BS16 2LA
- Zetland Vet Group, 26 Station Road, Filton, Bristol, BS34 7JQ
- Zetland Vet Group, 6 Coniston Road, Patchway Bristol, BS34 5PA
- Zetland Vet Group, 88 Shirehampton Road, Bristol BS9 2DR
- Zetland Vet Group, 44 Rodney Road, Backwell, BS48 3HW
(We’ll be adding more locations, so please check back)
Can You Help?
Perhaps you can offer a drop off location, or maybe your school or workplace can get involved?
If so, please send an email to [email protected] and include FAO SHOEBOX APPEAL in the subject line.
If you’re a first time visitor, you can read more about what we do here
*Terms and Conditions
Texts will cost the donation amount plus one standard network rate message, and you’ll be opting into hearing more from us. If you would like to donate but don’t wish to hear more from us, please text the relevant code plus NOINFO (e.g. SHOEBOXNOINFO) instead.